Is there any chance of finding an attorney that will take a criminal case I'm disabled with not a lot money and am soon to be

Asked 10 months ago - Auburn, CA

homeless or in jail for something I don't quite understand I have an arraignment tomorrow in placer county (auburn). I will know more tomorrow but I think I'm being charged twice for the same thing just different wording and am probably going to need this to be Pro Bono or close to it. in the year 2000 I gave false information to a police officer now department of motor vehicles is charging me with fraud?

1. Peter John Marek

8

Answered . Yes. Go to court and request a free public defender be appointed to defend you. That is what public defenders do and yes they are pro bono. I think you will have a very difficult time otherwise since mos t of us need to get paid to earn a living. Answering questions here is pro bono enough for most of us. Good Luck

2. David Matthew Piper

7

Answered . You should qualify for the services of a Public Defender. If memory serves right, I don't think Placer County has an actual Public Defender's Office. Instead, I think they use a law firm that contracts with the County.

Either way, the Court should provide you with an attorney at your arraignment tomorrow. Tell the judge about your financial situation and s/he should make sure you get an attorney.

3. Peter Christian Komar

5

Best Answer

Answered . find the bar association in your area

4. Robert Laurens Driessen

5

Answered . These attorneys are called public defenders.
    Robert Driessen

5. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

5

Answered . you will likely qualify for the services for the public defender or appointed counsel.

6. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

5

Answered . Ask for the Public Defender.

7. Brian K Wanerman

3

Answered . It's a little unusual for a Placer county arraignment to be in Auburn. Arraignments are usually done at the Roseville courthouse. There are two courthouses in Auburn. The main one is the historic courthouse which is mostly for trials as this is a historic courthouse building with limited space. Arraignments in Auburn are usually handled at the jail courthouse, but those are primarily although not exclusively, for in-custody defendants. Be sure to check your notice carefully for the correct department and make sure you know which courthouse that department is in. You can also check the court calendar online at http://www.placer.courts.ca.gov/court-calendars.... The same website also contains information on department locations.

Very few attorneys will take a case on a pro bono basis. But, there will be an attorney present from the Public Defender's office at every arraignment courtroom. If you don't have a lawyer, the court will appoint the Public Defender for you. If you later are able to raise enough money to hire private counsel, you can have him swap in. You are not stuck with the public defender once he is appointed for you.