Is there any "cooling off" period for a standard rental agreement? What if the landlord lied about certain conditions?

Vermont |

I signed a lease and vacated the property after just 3 hours tenancy and immediately notified the landlord that I would not be able to fulfil the lease. There were a myriad of issues (faulty electrical wiring, a cat in the building, a neighbor blaring music at 11pm etc) but the most important issue was the fact that it was rented as a no smoking facility and smoke from a neighbor came right into the apartment. Since my partner is severely asthmatic (just had experimental surgery on his lungs) this was totally unacceptable ... and not something I could "wait and see" if they could fix (his attacks are life threatening). Am I entitled to any portion of my 1st month/ security deposit back?

There is no cooling off period for real estate transactions but you could sue the landlord for fraud to induce you to enter into that contract. You'll probably need a lawyer to be taken seriously.

No, there is not norrnally any such thing.

Please note that I do not practice in your state and that the above is not intended as legal advice, is for educational purposes only.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant