Is there an online archive of up to date County, State, and Federal laws?

Orlando, FL |

I sometimes wonder if something like this exists, as I like to be well educated on relevant, important topics like law. If there is no credible online source, how would you recommend one learn more about specific laws relevant to their life?

I realize there are the official government websites that have this information of archived legislature, but I was thinking something a little more user friendly when searching for laws pertaining to common daily life. Such as traffic laws, civil rights, illegal substances, etc. Perhaps summarized forms of legislature exist?

1. Yes and No. Certainly you can find the U.S. code and every state's code of laws on the Internet. However, there is no single site that will list every law for you. Even those of us with a law degree don't know every law and need to consult the Federal or State sites often.

If you have a desire to find a law on a specific topic, you can always start a search with your browser. The site with the answers for you will come up.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

2. Westlaw sells subscriptions to various online databases that organize state and federal laws and regulations. As the lawyers on this site know, those subscriptions are very pricey. Municode.com contains the local ordinances of many (but not all) cities and counties. Sometimes that site is not up to date, so consulting with a lawyer on any issue that affects you, personally, is always recommended.

Disclaimer: The foregoing does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney/client relationship. Please contact an attorney for formal legal advice on any specific matter.

3. I can't think of any but I could be wrong.
    Each state usual has a website with that information.

The answers provided are of a general nature and are not intended to be final or complete answers of any individual's legal questions. Other facts not considered may change the analysis or outcome. Do not rely on information presented herein to address your individual legal concerns. Your receipt of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship and the legal privileges inherent therein. If you have a legal question, you should consult an attorney experienced in that area of the law. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you hire an attorney, you should request information about the attorney's qualifications and experiences. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum.

State, local, and municipal law topics