Is there an extension I can file for a Legal Malpractice Case because the statue of limitations is approaching?

I recently discovered I have a legal malpractice case. Unfortunately my counsel never told me about the settlement agreement on my case and never paid me either. I am just finding this out. I tried to make contact with counsel but he is continuously avoiding me. Now I am left a victim. After exhausting every measure to work this out with counsel I had to file a complaint against him with the state bar and now I need an attorney to sue in Civil court. The statue of limitations is arriving rapidly and I need to know is there anything I can do to extend that time to be able to seek out new counsel for this?

Unfortunately if you miss the SOL you will be "SOL" no pun intended. Get to a lawyer rightaway so you're rights are protected. Call my office of you'd like 323-782-0099.

The SOL is the SOL. But most firms get off a complaint within a day or two. If you have questions call me at 626 793-9124, we handle legal malpractice cases.

You can also request the target defendant execute a "tolling " agreement which would be a written agreement to toll or extend the applicable Statute of Limitations. Such a agreement is not uncommon in malpractice cases. If your attorney stole your money you may have claims for conversion, fraud, etc which may be controlled by different and/or longer Statutes of Limitations. Talk with another attorney asap! Good Luck to you.

There are various tolling provisions which affect the statute of limitations on a legal malpractice claim. As suggested by other counsel, other causes of action may have longer periods. Your option is to consult and retain counsel now if you have a viable legal malpractice case. Trying to do anything "on our own" at this time is likely to be ineffective. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Do not wait, as I do not think there is any way to stop the Statute of Limitations. I am happy to discuss the facts of your case.

Retain one of the above distinguished lawyers in your state immediately.

Professional ethics topics