Is there an expiration on federal criminal forfeiture orders?

Crestview, FL |

In short, I was convicted after trial and pushed into signing onto a 1 millions dollar jointly and severely criminal forfeiture. They didn't seize a million dollars worth of property. Do I simply always owe the feds the balance. I will never be able to repay. Does it expire at some point?

Typically, I am now seeing forfeiture orders that do not expire. Even though you may "never be able to repay," the government has the ability to garnish a certain portion of your earnings.

The best thing to do is to read the forfeiture order. That will have the answer you are seeking. Additionally, if you have questions after reading the order, you should contact your defense attorney to discuss this matter.

I wish you the best.

No attorney-client relationship is created by responding to any question on Avvo. Further, nothing contained in any response may be relied upon as legal advice.

The Government may collect the judgment in any manner that a civil judgment may be collected for a period of 20 years from the date that the judgment was entered or your release from imprisonment, whichever is later.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.