Is there an easy way to claim dividends that were found in Michigan's unclaimed property department?

North Fort Myers, FL |

My father has been deceased for 21 years and we found some dividends in Michigan's unclaimed property department. I have proof that he owned the stock, his death certificate, his paid funeral bill and the last 4 digits of his ssn. Since he was a Canadian with a green card, his residence on the death certificate was listed as Canada. Him and his widow resided in Michigan at the time of death, although he did die in Florida while vacationing. I was my father's executor when he died and his estate was willed to his widow. I am also my mother's executor and power of attorney. The will is no longer available and was executed in Ontario, Canada. Ingham County probate (where the money is) wants an unbelievable amount of paper work, which i know nothing about to claim the money. I need help.

This is a matter of Michigan (not Florida) law, and James Frederick is your guy. He will probably respond to this post, but if not you can view his profile using the link I provided below.

Don't take anything written here as legal advice.I am happy to offer my thoughts free of charge, and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about representing you. Please be aware, though, that at this point we have not established an attorney-client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires me to agree in writing to represent you. Unless that happens, you shouldn’t take anything I say to be legal advice or make any decisions based on it.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Thank you for the kind words, Jeramie. Very much appreciated! James

I can sympathize with you, but I cannot offer you any easy solutions. YES, the State Treasury Dept. wants an unbelievable amount of paper work. They are overworked, understaffed, and the things that they ask for are usually difficult, if not impossible to obtain. I have worked with dozens of clients to try to collect unclaimed property. The process seems to be designed to thwart all efforts at recovery, and it can be very frustrating and disappointing.

Having said that, we have successfully helped a number of people and some cases are a bit easier than others. The specific facts of the situation DO matter. The process is glacial. It takes a minimum of 120 days and usually, it is closer to 180 days or more. I DO have contacts in the department that sometimes help, a great deal.

Please feel free to contact me if you have specific questions about your situation or how to proceed.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!