Is there an easy way to claim dividends that were found in Michigan's unclaimed property department?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Fort Myers, FL

My father has been deceased for 21 years and we found some dividends in Michigan's unclaimed property department. I have proof that he owned the stock, his death certificate, his paid funeral bill and the last 4 digits of his ssn. Since he was a Canadian with a green card, his residence on the death certificate was listed as Canada. Him and his widow resided in Michigan at the time of death, although he did die in Florida while vacationing. I was my father's executor when he died and his estate was willed to his widow. I am also my mother's executor and power of attorney. The will is no longer available and was executed in Ontario, Canada. Ingham County probate (where the money is) wants an unbelievable amount of paper work, which i know nothing about to claim the money. I need help.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I can sympathize with you, but I cannot offer you any easy solutions. YES, the State Treasury Dept. wants an unbelievable amount of paper work. They are overworked, understaffed, and the things that they ask for are usually difficult, if not impossible to obtain. I have worked with dozens of clients to try to collect unclaimed property. The process seems to be designed to thwart all efforts at recovery, and it can be very frustrating and disappointing.

    Having said that, we have successfully helped a number of people and some cases are a bit easier than others. The specific facts of the situation DO matter. The process is glacial. It takes a minimum of 120 days and usually, it is closer to 180 days or more. I DO have contacts in the department that sometimes help, a great deal.

    Please feel free to contact me if you have specific questions about your situation or how to proceed.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  2. Jeramie J. Fortenberry

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is a matter of Michigan (not Florida) law, and James Frederick is your guy. He will probably respond to this post, but if not you can view his profile using the link I provided below.

    Don't take anything written here as legal advice.I am happy to offer my thoughts free of charge, and I would... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,993 answers this week

2,882 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,993 answers this week

2,882 attorneys answering