Is there an attorney to help with my situation

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Maria, CA

i am now homeless and have no income due to my recent termination . i cant afford an attorney but i know i have a good case 2 in fact is there any attorney that i can hire without paying upfront or do i just let my boss do what he has done to two of his former employees

Additional information

i was a manager for 3 yrs. at a local motel i was given an apartment for my work and a small salary. i was fired and my boss evicted us (wrongfully) and when i went to file for unemployment i wasnt able to get anywhere because he had never paid toward my employment i got cash never a check . i also talked to leagal aid and they told me to go to CRLA a local legal assistance program. No results thus far. i am desperate. i have no income and no home. i need help.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm sorry to hear about this bad situation. First, I encourage you to appeal the EDD decision because if you were truly an employee, EDD should hold the employer responsible for not making contributions on your behalf. Second, it sounds like you probably have wage and hour claims. However, no one can tell you what claims you might have without knowing details. The Avvo board is not set up to handle the kind of detailed analysis needed to offer helpful guidance. Avvo works best for short, specific questions that allow for short, specific answers. Perhaps more importantly, anyone can read the discussions on Avvo so they are not confidential. The employer or whomever is involved in the dispute can read everything written here.

    If you are having trouble finding an attorney for your case, there are several possibilities:

    -- you are not looking in the right place for the right kind of attorney;
    -- your case does not have as much value as you think; or
    -- you are not presenting your case in a way that makes sense to the attorneys.

    Employment attorneys want certain information right up front: the name of the defendant, the name of the employee; if the employee was fired (or denied reasonable accommodation, or laid off, or whatever the issue is, in five words or less); the date this happened; the reason the employer gave for whatever happened; how long the employee worked for the defendant; what job the employee did; how much the employee made; and any deadline.

    To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

    I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the... more
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Without any facts, it is unlikely you will find a CA attorney willing to work for you - paid or pro bono.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering