Is there an attorney i can hire to deal with my sons suspension in school?

Asked about 1 year ago - Saint Louis, MO

He was caught going into a bathroom with a boy who appeared to have pot, both boys were suspended

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph Peggs Welch


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You should absolutely hire an attorney experienced in school law and criminal defense. Your son has a right to a hearing, and if it's not too late, the suspension might be able to be removed from his record.

    He could be criminally charged, as well, even though it sounds like the evidence of his possession is weak. He could be charged in state court if he's 17, or in juvenile court if he's 16 or less. A criminal defense attorney experienced in school law should be able to help.

  2. Kevin Douglas Wilkins

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You should consult with a local attorney experienced in this area. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" feature that you can use to search for qualified counsel. I am not for sure that a lawyer can help your son in this case, but it can't hurt to talk to someone about it.

  3. Stephen Charles Maltezos

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You could hire an attorney for any reason, but I do not think an attorney could get your son reinstated back into school due to him/her not having enough time. Also, as long as criminal charges are not going to be filed, then there is no need to hire an attorney (in my opinion). If your son is injured or harmed in some way because of this suspension, then you could call around to some attorneys but it would not be a criminal defense attorney. Perhaps you should try calling the school and setting up a meeting to clarify the situation. Best of Luck!

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,133 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,133 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering