Is there an age limit to how substantial a child's testimony is to CPS? Young children can't differentiate fact from make believ

Vancouver, WA |

My daughter Ava was been taken into foster care. Since then she has supposedly been molested by her older sister & had her older sister stashing diet pills in her backpack. Never once were these issues ever brought up. My girlfriend and I are afraid our 5 year old is coached into saying these things. Our 5 yr old and 11 month old are in foster care. Ava only for a month and a half. Our oldest has been with her mother the whole time. When it seems that we are getting close to getting our children back, something comes up of substantial issue to block our leadway.

You should contact an attorney who has experience with CPS.

See my AVVO Legal Guide on child abuse and neglect. I formerly did child abuse cases for 3 years and trained social workers statewide. You should consult a good attorney about (1) how to get your kids back in the CPS dependency case, and (2) whether or not you can sue CPS for damages due to your child's molestation while in foster care.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes