Is there an age limit for unemployment benefits in WA State?

Asked about 5 years ago - Bellingham, WA

Although I am 68 years old, I am not in a position to retire even though my employer is ecouraging me to quit/retire. I receive Social Security benefits, but not enough to cover my expenses so I will have to work somewhere if I am let go. Am I too old to qualify for unemployment in the State of Washington?

1. Kathleen Dillon Hunt

Best Answer

Answered . No, you are not too old to qualify. BUT, do not voluntarily quit or "retire" or you will not qualify. Many employers use this device to appeal to employees' egos (or lack of knowledge), and then the former employee finds herself without unemployment benefits because the agency finds that she left work voluntarily and without good cause. A better resolution would be to ask your employer to lay you off due to lack of work (and please ask that they put that in writing, so they are not tempted to later fight your claim for unemployment benefits). But do not quit under any circumstances without speaking first with a qualified employment attorney. Good luck!

2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Answered . There is no mandatory retirement age in WA for the general public. Certain jobs do have mandatory retirement. Age is not a determining factor whether you are eligible for unemployment benefits.

You can check the information provided by Employment Security at www.esd.wa.gov . Applications for unemployment benefits are free and can be done online, in person, or on the phone.

If your employer is targeting you because of your age, that may be unlawful. You can review the facts with an attorney.