Is there action I can take for slander/defamation of character?

White River Junction, VT |

My daughters mother has reported to my daughters doctor that I am abusive to my daughter, abusive to my son (from another mother), my home is unclean, and the home is unfit for me keeping children. All information given can be shown to be false by various forms. The mother has attempted to provide this information to get the doctor to contact dcf and testify against me in parent child contact hearing which she lost. Her actions so far have gone unheeded do to no proof but on numerous occasions the mother lied to the doctor about me to attempt to get me in trouble. This has occurred over the past few years but only discovered recently. Can I do a cease and desist order against her for this? Is there a chance of collecting punitive damages and/or get a retraction letter done by the mother?

A cease and desist letter might help but proving slander is no easy task particularly in intimate family situations. Consult a defamation attorney for the cease and desist letter and further clarity. best of luck.

The author of this answer is an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of Arizona. Unless both you and the author have signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not the author's client, and the author's discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author, and are neither privileged nor confidential.

A cease and desist letter may work, or it could throw fuel on a fire.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury