Is there absolutely no way to have a MIP of alcohol (age 19) conviction expunged in the state of Georgia? I am now 26.

Asked over 3 years ago - Duluth, GA

The way I understand it, If you have a conviction, there is no way to have it expunged. Is this correct?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Edward Boyle

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You can only have arrests expunged not convictions

  2. Jessica Ruth Towne


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . In Georgia, expungement is the only legal method to completely remove an arrest from a criminal record. There are very few instances that qualify to have an arrest removed from your criminal history. Generally speaking, it is used only for arrests where charges are later dropped. Expungement is not used to remove convictions, nor is it used to remove charges that later lead to trials where the defendant is acquitted.

  3. Ashleigh Bartkus Merchant

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . While there is no way to have this conviction "Expunged" from your record you might want to look into a pardon from the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles. This would not remove the conviction from your record but would restore whatever rights you have lost, if any, due to the conviction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,859 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,859 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering