Is there a way to run a fingerprint background check? Not quite sure what is on my record.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I am about to go to nursing school, and I received a MIP and Drug paraphernalia when I was 19. I am now 21 years old. I went to municipal court house to run a background check and they said they didn't find anything when I gave them my drivers license. Did it get dismissed or erased? I was not put on probation or any community service. I was placed in a holding-cell for a day, got finger printed and a picture taken, and then payed a fine, and was free to go. I am unsure of what to do but I want to be sure that my record is clean before getting my RN license. What should I do?

1. Gen Kimura

Answered . You can also request FBI for a copy of your record.

2. Edward Alan Jendrzey

Answered . If you paid a fine and were released from jail, that probably means you plead guilty or no contest and the judge found you guilty instead of placing you on deferred adjudication. You can contact DPS to get a copy of your criminal history, or try this DPS website - https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/ DpsWebsite/CriminalHistory. I don't know that either of the charges you mention would keep you from getting your nursing license, but you may be able to contact the Texas Board of Nursing at (512) 305-7400 to find out. Of course, you can also contact an attorney to help you with this concern.

3. Donald Rudolph Taylor Jr.

Answered . You can write the TDPS at the address below and request a form that will request a background check. It costs $15.00 to get the results. You will need to go to your local law enforcement agency and get a new fingerprint card.

Further, it has been my experience that the nursing board will not restrict you from being a nurse for the minor violations of which you speak.

Texas Department of Public Safety
    Crime Records Service
    Attention: CHIU
    P.O. Box 15999
    Austin, TX 78761-5999
    (512) 424-5079