Is there a way to receive legal help for a dissolution or divorce when I have no income?

Asked about 2 years ago - East Liverpool, OH

My husband left me for another woman and wants a divorce. We have two sons together and both are under 18 and one is staying with me and the other is staying with my husband. I have no income and my husband is refusing to provide any financial assistance since he has left. My husband is also being uncooperative with visitations with my son. I want to know what my rights are such if i can pursue alimony and would have any rights to any of his assets and custody/visitation arrangements for our children. I tried to seek help through Legal Aid and they said they are unable to help due to being overwhelmed with other cases. I would appreciate any legal advice on what i should do.

1. Peter Stephen Kirner

1

Answered . Contact your local bar association and see if there is any counsel who will take on your case at no charge or at a reduced charge.

2. Beth Ann Blackmore

Answered . Contact your local Legal Aid organization at http://seols.org/
    Best of Luck!

Beth A. Blackmore
    Blackmore Law Ofice, LLC
    www.blackmorelawoffice.com

3. William N. Chambers

1

Answered . Your state should have a way for indigent people to file court action with a waiver of costs, often called an affidavit of indigency.

As for alimony and child support, this would depend on multiple factors that an Ohio attorney is best off explaining to you as the rules can differ greatly from state to state, but generally speaking under the circumstances you put you should be eligible for child support and at least a temporary order of alimony.

As for finding counsel, call your county Bar Association and see if they can recommend an attorney who does pro bono or reduced rate family law work.