Is there a way to prevent deportation for someone arrested and jailed at the border? This is in Texas.

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My friend and her husband are undocumented. They have been in the US for about 15 years. They have two children that were born in the US. She also has two children living in Guatemala with her mother. Her son is now about 19, and he recently crossed the border through Mexico. He was apparently caught, and is in jail in McAllen, TX. He has not seen his mother since he was a young child. Is there anything that can be done to prevent him from being deported? These are hard-working, good people. They are not a wealthy family, but would hire an attorney to help them if the case isn't hopeless. Thank you.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . Is he qualified for asylum?

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Brian Rhodes

1

Answered . More information is needed in order to determine if something can be done. It depends on why the son was coming to the US from Guatemala. I would recommend seeking local counsel to assist you with this. My office handles these matters if you wish to contact us. Good luck!

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . Not likely at all that he can be kept in the U.S. He is an adult who tried to come to the country illegally, to visit relatives who also are in the U.S. without permission.