Is there a way to prevent deportation for someone arrested and jailed at the border? This is in Texas.

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My friend and her husband are undocumented. They have been in the US for about 15 years. They have two children that were born in the US. She also has two children living in Guatemala with her mother. Her son is now about 19, and he recently crossed the border through Mexico. He was apparently caught, and is in jail in McAllen, TX. He has not seen his mother since he was a young child. Is there anything that can be done to prevent him from being deported? These are hard-working, good people. They are not a wealthy family, but would hire an attorney to help them if the case isn't hopeless. Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is he qualified for asylum?

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Brian Rhodes

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . More information is needed in order to determine if something can be done. It depends on why the son was coming to the US from Guatemala. I would recommend seeking local counsel to assist you with this. My office handles these matters if you wish to contact us. Good luck! This is not legal advice as many facts are still unknown, and an attorney-client... more
  3. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not likely at all that he can be kept in the U.S. He is an adult who tried to come to the country illegally, to visit relatives who also are in the U.S. without permission.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,045 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,045 answers this week

3,145 attorneys answering