Is there a way to pay my civil demand letter without them mailing my house?

Bayside, NY |

Got caught shoplifting in an h&m in new york. They made me fill out forms admitting that I shoplifted and trespassed, made me sign a few things along with my address and my birthday (i am a minor). The total amount i stole was up to $40. I just want to pay it off asap so I won't have to worry about this later on because I'm very forgetful.

Since you've received nothing from them demanding money yet, you might call the store and ask them for contact information so you can pay them off quickly and directly and tell them to email you the receipt so no one at home will know.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

They may send you an invoice after receiving payment unless you politely ask them not do so.

I advisr my clients to ignore the civil demand letters because I have never seen a store sue to collect. If you want to stop letters, hire a lawyer to write the store for you. I do this all the time for my clients.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.