Is there a way to pay my civil demand letter without them mailing my house?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bayside, NY

Got caught shoplifting in an h&m in new york. They made me fill out forms admitting that I shoplifted and trespassed, made me sign a few things along with my address and my birthday (i am a minor). The total amount i stole was up to $40. I just want to pay it off asap so I won't have to worry about this later on because I'm very forgetful.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Marco Caviglia

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Since you've received nothing from them demanding money yet, you might call the store and ask them for contact information so you can pay them off quickly and directly and tell them to email you the receipt so no one at home will know.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I advisr my clients to ignore the civil demand letters because I have never seen a store sue to collect. If you want to stop letters, hire a lawyer to write the store for you. I do this all the time for my clients.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  3. Edwin Drantivy

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . They may send you an invoice after receiving payment unless you politely ask them not do so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,400 answers this week

3,285 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,400 answers this week

3,285 attorneys answering