Skip to main content

Is there a way to make credit card companies stop calling me at work about delinquent payments?

Atlanta, GA |

I am delinguent on three credit cards and my delinquency is less than six months old. I have asked them to stop calling me at work and to remove my work phone number which they said that they did, but they keep calling me. I cannot give them my full attention and I work in the Department of Finance, so I do not want to receive calls at work. They have my cell phone number, address and e-mail and have confirmed the details, but do I have any rights and any options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sadly, original creditors have more leeway in bothering you than collection agencies do. The federal law (FDCPA) that says how often you can be called, etc. generally applies only to collectors and not original creditors. That said, you may have some rights under your state unfair business practices/consumer protection laws. You should consult a local consumer protection lawyer in your area to find out what your specific rights are with respect to original creditors.

The answers to these questions may be different depending on your individual circumstance and should not be considered as legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


There are ways to stop the calls (and also to deal with the debts). Feel free to call me with details (404-768-3509)

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


If they are collection agencies calling about a debt they are collecting for another company, you can tell them that you are recording the call and that they should no longer contact you at work pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices act. That should stop them but you will need to either record or document the call in order to have a claim against them. If they are collecting their own debt, you don't have much recourse. In the meantime, you should consider your options to get this off of you, including a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney. Filing bankruptcy is one sure fire way of stopping the calls, as they would then be violating federal law and subject to sanctions from a bankruptcy court for calling you once a bankruptcy case is filed.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer