Is there a way to legally fight lawsuit if child support has been paid to mother and not to Child support office

Asked over 4 years ago - Portland, OR

I have been paying child support for 3 years and sending the money directly to mother (with proof). Child support says that any money sent to mother outside of their office is considered a gift. I signed this original document. I know I screwed up but do I have a chance to fight it legally? Mother has admitted she has been paid to PCSD and mediator, however, she will not sign statement relieving me. Do I pay twice or take her to court?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Daniel S Margolin

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . The answer to your question depends on the way in which the original award was structured. Even if the state's position is legally correct, she could always sign a satisfaction of judgment. There may be other interests or needs that she has that you could meet via mediation to allow her to agree to sign the satisfaction. You should consult with an attorney to determine the best way to proceed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,025 answers this week

3,207 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,025 answers this week

3,207 attorneys answering