Is there a way to just extend an existing lease without creating a new one?

Asked over 1 year ago - Montgomery, IL

I have a rental property and the lease for my current tentants is about to expire. They would like to stay in the property for just another 4 months. Do a need a new short lease or can we extend the existing one?

1. Emma Lee Scott

5

Answered . You can extend the current lease with a short lease amendment. The language in the amendment should refer to the original lease document and incorporate all of its terms.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . Once the lkease has expired, your tenants will be entitled to remain on a month to month basis under the same provisions as your old lease. In the alternative, you can draft a 4 month lease.

3. William Dean Lohrman

Answered . You can amend the lease or continue as a month to month tenancy as stated above. If you have a definite time period you both want to extend to, I would put it writing with an amendment to he lease. If any terms of the lease change under the extension, it should be in writing. Do not leave any thing as an oral agreement.

William d. Lohrman
    Law Office of William D. Lohrman
    487 Grape Vine Trail
    Oswego, IL 60543
    Ph: 630.849.6196
    Fax: 630.348.1323
    Wlohrman@lohrmanlaw.com