Is there a way to get out of paying court cost?? Can the issuing officer remove the ticket perhaps?

Eldridge, IA |

I recently purchased a dirt bike, with in the past 3 weeks. The prior owner insured me it was registered to ride. However, the registration was on the bike when I got ticketed by the DNR on 7/14. The paper work shows the registration was acquired for the bike 3/15/2013 and is valid until 12/31/13.

The court is over an hour away from my home and the ticket is only $27.00; however, court cost are $60.00 making my tickert $87.00. It was a clear misunderstanding and I do not think I should be fined in away. Is there anyway to get the ticket nulled before the trail?

Occasionally, the prosecutor will agree to dismiss the charge at your cost. That means you will still pay $60 in court costs, but it avoids the conviction, fine, associated surcharges, etc. If there is no defense, you could simply plead guilty and pay the fine within 30 days to avoid it being sent down to the central collections unit, which will add 10 percent to the unpaid balance. That can be done without you traveling to the hearing. You can also pay the fine online.

Thank you

You should probably get an attorney to appear for you, but that obviously won't save you money. And if the prosecutor or judge agrees to dismiss or reduce, it wont' happen unless you appear in court.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

The issuing officer cannot just cancel the ticket then due to wrongful cause?

I believe you would have to go to court & explain it to the judge

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Could I transfer the court case to my home town? I live over an hour away and driving up there, taking time off of work and only having a chance to get off of the ticket and still paying court cost would not be worth it. Thank you for your time and input Sir.