Is there a way to get out of paying court cost?? Can the issuing officer remove the ticket perhaps?

Asked 9 months ago - Eldridge, IA

I recently purchased a dirt bike, with in the past 3 weeks. The prior owner insured me it was registered to ride. However, the registration was on the bike when I got ticketed by the DNR on 7/14. The paper work shows the registration was acquired for the bike 3/15/2013 and is valid until 12/31/13.

The court is over an hour away from my home and the ticket is only $27.00; however, court cost are $60.00 making my tickert $87.00. It was a clear misunderstanding and I do not think I should be fined in away. Is there anyway to get the ticket nulled before the trail?

1. Colin Christopher Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . Occasionally, the prosecutor will agree to dismiss the charge at your cost. That means you will still pay $60 in court costs, but it avoids the conviction, fine, associated surcharges, etc. If there is no defense, you could simply plead guilty and pay the fine within 30 days to avoid it being sent down to the central collections unit, which will add 10 percent to the unpaid balance. That can be done without you traveling to the hearing. You can also pay the fine online.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

2

Answered . You should probably get an attorney to appear for you, but that obviously won't save you money. And if the prosecutor or judge agrees to dismiss or reduce, it wont' happen unless you appear in court.

3. Michael R Crosner

1

Answered . I believe you would have to go to court & explain it to the judge