Skip to main content

Is there a way to get my deductible back considering Michigan is a No fault insurance state?

Lansing, MI |

I have collision insurance. A kid hit my car and caused minor damage to my car. I had to pay the deductible. After this I got mail from the kid's insurance that their insurer is not guilty as per their investigation but this is against the police report. Also, I see that the insurer name is different, looks like kid's family member.

Thank you for a quick response! The police report says that I was slowing down, kid hit my car. Kid was also slowing down and he was hit by another car. And hit and Run case for driver 3. The chain reaction did not occur at all, but kid may be claiming that for some reason. In the police report, the insurance number given by kid is incorrect. Is there a way to get my deductible back considering this scenario?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Have you filed a mini tort claim? Even if your own insurance company does not waive your deductible if you were not at fault (many do) you still will be reimbursed for up to $1,000 from the wringdoer's insurance company, if they will not pay, contrary to a police report that shows their insured at fault, you can file in small claims court. It is a bit of additional hassle, but they likely will pay at some point before your hearing and even if they don't, you almost certainly will win based upon your description.
    I have a small claims form on my website:
    Type small claims in search box and it will come up.
    Good luck.

  2. $1000 mini tort or small claims

  3. Steve laid it out spot on. Follow his advice. I cannot imagine the insurance company fighting it in small claims. Good Luck!

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics