Is there a way to get a complaint history of a particular business regulated by the department of public safety?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I had an employee of an establishment assault me and someone told me that i need to get the complaint records from DPS since they regulate this business to see if this pattern exists in the past. Would this require a subpoena or one can just contact DPS?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steve H. Evans

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . I am uncertain from your description as to what type of business this is. However, if DPS does have public information on this business, such as a security license, you can request that record as follows:
    Requests for information may be mailed to Open Records, Box 4087, Austin, TX 78773-0140; faxed to (512) 424-5716; dropped off in person at 5805 N. Lamar Blvd, Austin; or emailed via the Public Information Request page. The website is

    The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide... more
  2. David Andrew Mallen

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Sometimes you can get public records through a Public Records Act request, also known as a Freedom of Information Act request. Each state and each state agency has its own rules, if that information is even available.

    David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,079 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,079 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering