Is there a way to get a complaint history of a particular business regulated by the department of public safety?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I had an employee of an establishment assault me and someone told me that i need to get the complaint records from DPS since they regulate this business to see if this pattern exists in the past. Would this require a subpoena or one can just contact DPS?

1. Steve H. Evans

Answered . I am uncertain from your description as to what type of business this is. However, if DPS does have public information on this business, such as a security license, you can request that record as follows:
    Requests for information may be mailed to Open Records, Box 4087, Austin, TX 78773-0140; faxed to (512) 424-5716; dropped off in person at 5805 N. Lamar Blvd, Austin; or emailed via the Public Information Request page. The website is www.txdps.state.texas.us/

2. David Andrew Mallen

Answered . Sometimes you can get public records through a Public Records Act request, also known as a Freedom of Information Act request. Each state and each state agency has its own rules, if that information is even available.