Is there a way to get a complaint history of a particular business regulated by the department of public safety?

Austin, TX |

I had an employee of an establishment assault me and someone told me that i need to get the complaint records from DPS since they regulate this business to see if this pattern exists in the past. Would this require a subpoena or one can just contact DPS?

1. Sometimes you can get public records through a Public Records Act request, also known as a Freedom of Information Act request. Each state and each state agency has its own rules, if that information is even available.

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

2. I am uncertain from your description as to what type of business this is. However, if DPS does have public information on this business, such as a security license, you can request that record as follows:
    Requests for information may be mailed to Open Records, Box 4087, Austin, TX 78773-0140; faxed to (512) 424-5716; dropped off in person at 5805 N. Lamar Blvd, Austin; or emailed via the Public Information Request page. The website is www.txdps.state.texas.us/

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. In all cases, an attorney should be retained to review the full circumstances and deliver advice consistent with the information learned.