Is there a way to fight this Disorderly Conduct Class B Misdemeanor charge?

Asked about 1 year ago - La Crosse, WI

My roommates had a party this weekend when I was away and one of them, who is 22, was handed a disorderly contact charge because our "three story beer bong was distracting traffic on the street below." Is this a legitimate charge? We have video of the police man saying "we want to make an example out of you" as well as swearing at us, calling one of my roommates a "dipshit," and banging on the door repeatedly with some object that was definitely not a hand.

1. Michael C. Witt

Pro

1

Answered . As already noted, your friend can plead not guilty and take the case to trial. The question will be whether the public display of the three-story beer bong was otherwise disorderly conduct that tended to cause or provoke a disturbance under the circumstances. The police officer's unprofessional conduct doesn't really go to either element, but may be the cause for a complaint regardless of the outcome on the citation. All police departments in WI are required to have a citizen complaint process in place. Most require an in person appearance at the PD to lodge a complaint.

2. Mark P. Maciolek

1

Answered . Of course you can fight the charge. Whether you win or not is another matter. Based on what you describe, a number of defenses might be possible.
    While a Class B misdemeanor is a less serious crime (it's not like a murder, for example), it is still a crime and therefore serious. To protect his future, your roommate should hire an experienced defense attorney.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . Sounds like quite a party and they can go to trial. Hope the judge does not think they are dipsh--s if found guilty