Is there a way to bypass the requirement to submit W-2 form to establish independence for tuition purposes for U.C.F.?

Orlando, FL |
Filed under: Education law

(I am trying to get in-state tuition in University of Central Florida) The requirement is to submit a W-2 form showing in excess of 50 percent of your total financial support to be considered financially independent (for tuition purposes) if you are under the age of 25. I have more than enough money in my bank account to provide my financial support and I am a U.S. citizen by birth and a Florida resident. But I would not be able to submit this form because I did not directly earn enough money from an employer during the previous tax year. Thoughts? Thanks

You need to talk to UCF. If you are living off of income from a trust for example, that might be different than income from earned money that you saved. It sounds as if your situation is unusual, so I would go in and talk to them to find out what alternatives are available to you for your unusual situation. They are the ones who would decide what documentation they would accept, at least initially. If there was a dispute between you and UCF about what they requested, then you might need legal assistance.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law