Skip to main content

Is there a way out of this statutory rape charge?

Chino, CA |

Im 18 male and I was dating this girl that is 17 and will be turning 18 soon. I had sex with her and I knew about here age but there is only a year difference in our age. Her parents knew about and said it was okay if we used protection which I did. We broke it off 3 months ago and her mother didn't take it to well and is trying to get me with a statutory rape charge even though shes allowing her to have sex with a 25 year old male in her own home and I'm extremely worried. Her mother has a list of mental health problems and she goes nuts with this stuff and I'm worried about what's going to happen to me. I would really like some advice or help if I end up needing it.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Stop making admissions here this is a public and non-confidential forum. Get a good criminal defense attorney on board and follow all of your counsel's instructions exactly.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

  2. It would be better if you met with an attorney in person to discuss further. Anything mentioned on this site is not attorney-client privilege. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest meeting with at least one soon.

    Michael K. Cernyar, Esq.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

  3. 1. Stop making admissions. 2. There is no consent defense to having sex with a minor. 3. Mom's mental health history is irrelevant and not admissible in court. 4. Doesn't matter what parents knew or didn't know. 5. Your looking at a misdemeanor and no sex registration. 6. I recognize your 18 and very worried. All us guys have been there - 18 and a willing girlfriend. Miss the good old days. But you have to understand - nutty and unpredictable parents + hot underage girlfriend = statutory rape conviction.

    The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

  4. You absolutely need to consult with a reputable defense attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics