Skip to main content

Is there a way I can turn my car back into the dealership or loan company without taking a large credit hit?

Little Rock, AR |
Filed under: Debt

I simply cant afford my car payment right now, I'm trying to avoid my car being repo'd so im staying current with the payments. What can I do to get rid of the car? Can I just call my finance company and ask them to come get the car?

Attorney Answers 1


A voluntary return (which is taking the car back without it being repoed) is just as bad as a repo. The finance company is still going to come after you for any deficiency you may have, after they sell the vehicle for 1/3 of what the car is actually worth. Your best bet is to try to sell it yourself, or file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics