Skip to main content

Is there a way i can obtain a criminal lawyer on a monthly payment basis with a couple hundred dollar deposit down

San Diego, CA |

i am facing 3 felonies but am a first time offender

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Not likely, unless you meet the poverty schedule for appointment of a public defender.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at



i do meet the poverty schedule

William Peter Daley

William Peter Daley


Then good luck with the public defender.


I can not imagine any good quality, private attorney that would take this matter with that financial arrangement. You should qualify for the San Diego Public Defender.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-231-0401 or visit my website at


Given your budget and status you are much better off with the Public Defender -- if you value your freedom.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Most attorneys will not accept "a couple of hundred down" payment for three felonies. If an attorney does not get a large retainer up front, they'll never see another dime in most cases. I'm sure many of my fellow attorneys on this site have billed thousands of dollars they'll never see. Stick with the public defender.


Most defense attorneys charge a flat fee based off their estimate of how much time and trouble a case will involve. Client's often get what they pay for, so it's important that you hire an attorney based on what they can do and not due to financial concerns. During a free consultation you can discuss arrangements with those attorneys who you feel can represent you well; however, don't be surprised if they reluctantly turn down your case due to an inability to pay for the expected cost of services.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381


A desperate one, maybe. Go with the public defender's office. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555


Call me to discuss your case.
I'm not saying I will take your case, but I will give
you a free consultation, learn a little about you & if I can help you, I will.
It's worth a call.

Ivan Schwartz

Ivan Schwartz has been practicing law in Southern California since 1991. The information contained in this response is for general information only, does not constitute legal advice and should in no way be construed to create an attorney/client relationship. For more information, please contact Attorney Schwartz at (619) 687-5052.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer