Skip to main content

Is there a way i can get a sooner court date?

Brentwood, NY |

Im 18 years old and i got kicked out of my moms house late October. Recently she bribed my cousin to get me to come back to her house "to talk" but she trapped me in the house and beat me up, called the cops on me and got me arrested for harassment in the 2nd. I went to court the next day and she asked the judge to give me a curfew at her house every night at 8pm and it was granted. My court date is on March 18th and im scared for my safety there. I was wondering is there any way i can get a sooner court date?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I can't understand why you would have a curfew from a court when you are the age of majority. I am going to change your tag to criminal law. I don't think that you can get an earlier court date.

  2. Speak to the attorney assigned to your case. It sounds possible but you have to ask your advocate

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  3. Getting a sooner court date is almost impossible. If legal aid was assigned to your case contact the attorney there and ask if they can contact the court to over up the date. I do not understand how a court can impose a curfew on an 18 year old.

    The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589

  4. With the proper inquiry and advocate you can certainly advance the court date. It seems as if the court overstepped its jurisdiction in issuing a curfew. However, that may be a condition of your release, so it's important to find out if the condition can be amended or stricken.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics