Skip to main content

Is there a way for someone to get their drivers license back sooner than two years who was convicted of a DUI in West Virginia?

East Liverpool, OH |

I'm trying to help a friend. She was charged with a DUI in West Virginia but has an Ohio license and this is her first DUI. West Virginia said they suspended her license for two years since she was charged with injury but the injury charges were dropped later. Is there any way for her to get her license back before the two years??

Attorney Answers 3


It may be possible. Ohio will suspend a person for an out of state DUI for 6 months or the period imposed by the other state, whichever is less. Other considerations are present that need to bevaddresses by an attorney. There is an administrative appeal process that needs to occur, so your friend needs to hire a lawyer to help with this.

Mark as helpful


She would need to consult a West Virginia DUI Attorney.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio
(937)510-6110 phone

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Mark as helpful


It might be possible. She needs to contact a WV lawyer to see if the suspension time can be mitigated down. WV only has the authority to suspend her right to drive in that state. She can otherwise drive in every other state where she is eligible on her Ohio license. If Ohio gets notice of the out of state suspension they will send her notice in the mail. Make sure her address is current with the Ohio BMV. When she receives this notice she should contact a lawyer immediately to file an appeal of the out of state suspension to request driving privileges.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics