Is there a way for my fiance to become a resident? If he marries me, a US citizen.

Asked about 2 years ago - Newark, NJ

He entered the country illegal... He has no criminal record. I heard there might be a law for forgiveness. Is it true? What are the consequences?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

2

Answered . More information is needed to evaluate the case.

2. Mary Kathleen Neal

3

Answered . If he entered without inspection, then he will likely need to return to his home country to apply for an immigrant visa, and also will need to request a special waiver to return. It is not a simple process, and you should hire an attorney.

3. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . THere may be a way for him to obtain legal status, but it is complicated, and will require him to leave the U.S. for at least a few months. Much more information about you and him is necessary to determine what options are available and whether it is a good idea to pursue them. Set up a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with both my colleagues.