Is there a way for me to speed up the divorce process?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

I enlisted the help of a cheap, quick divorce company. I did exactly as they asked of me. I have an index number, got all the paper work signed by my ex. I returned everything to them almost a month ago. They told me the divorce would take 2 months. They have yet to file my paper work and I have a wedding day set in a month and a half and a baby on the way. What can I do about this?

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . You get what you pay for in life, unfortunately. These "document service companies" say anything to get people like yourself to pay them money. Unfortunately, they're notorious for filing in the wrong county, not discussing any issues which need to be addressed (like asset division, rights to alimony, etc.) simply because they can't give legal advise, and promising things they can't deliver (e.g., I've seen Ads for a "divorce in 30 days"). Judgments generally take approximately 4-5 months to get signed (sometimes longer) no matter the county one files in, at least in NYC & surrounding counties. Bronx takes even longer. If they told you 2 months, then you got taken in by a scam. And to make matters worse, these "companies" often make mistakes on their filings, which substantially delays the process. This is because they have "paralegals" - not lawyers - who do the work, and often they are not even paralegals (who generally must have a degree or certification) but just "call themselves that." One option you have is to file an order to show cause with the judgment attached, as well as proof of the wedding date, etc. The Document Service Company can't do this for you - you'll need an attorney. In any event, I advise to schedule a consultation with an actual licensed Bronx Divorce attorney for a full assessment of your situation.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  2. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

8

1

Answered . Since you can't turn back time and retain a reputable reasonable fee attorney rather than the cheap and not so quick company, your only realistic option would appear to be to retain an attorney now and pay for them to prepare an emergency affidavit. I suppose you could hound the company you retained, but I'm not optimistic. Get all your paperwork back from them and get a real attorney. Good luck.

3. Brad S. Margolis

6

1

Answered . Answer to myself:
    The person got what they paid for . And there is virtually no recourse against the company like there would be against a lawyer who delayed your case with the Bar association.

But out loud I would say Lets see what i can do to help you.
    1. Delay your wedding. I know your saying you cant but yes you can. If necessary hold a big pre wedding party and then get married latter. Practical advice not legal advice forget what i said. Lol

Okay legal advice time hire an attorney , before you do explain your situation. The lawyer will know what to do in your area. In my area we hand deliver the papers to the county clerk get them processed , walk them over to the judge assigned chambers. We then make an appointment with the judges law clerk, explain we have an insane client who hired a non lawyer preparation service and wants to get married on x date before the baby is born. While you maybe dispute me saying your insane , sanity is relative . In my area Judges are sympathetic and as long as papers are proper and the spouse has waive off thew will process them to the top of the judges pile of documents to sign. Then the lawyer will pick them up and hand walk them to the county clerk for final filing. Is it possible yes would i or any sane lawyer guarantee you a time table absolutely not.

Just my opinion
    Good luck with the baby , the divorce will occur when it can.

As an aside in my area and anywhere i believe in NY their is a presumption that a child born during a marriage is the child of both parents. The court in my area require that presumption to be handled either by a order of filtration from family court for the other child.

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

6

Answered . You get what you pay for.

5. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Your first mistake was using a divorce company. Hire a lawyer.

6. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . Find a qualified attorney to help you. Reschedule the wedding day, it will not be signed anytime this year.

7. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

3

Answered . Nothing. You get what you pay for.