Is there a way for me to get my husband a visa if he came here illegally but we have a bona fide marriage?

Asked over 3 years ago - Lynchburg, VA

my husband and i have been married for 2 years in march and i wanna know if i can get his visa if he is here and came here illegally is there anything i can do???? please help i love him and my daughter keeps asking were is daddy you try explaining this to a 4 year old:(

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Assuming that you are a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor your husband for a green card. In all probability, he will have go to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in his country for his interview. He will been subject to a ten-year bar to returning to the U.S. because of his previous unlawful presence. However, the government will "waive" this bar if he is able to prove that this would cause "extreme hardship" to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,358 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,358 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering