Is there a way for me to change my married name back to my maiden name without going to court?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lakewood, NJ

I changed my last name on my driver's license when I got married without going to court; just by showing my marriage license. I would like to change it back as it's too much of a hassle dealing with 2 different names. Can I do this also without going to court?

1. Lawrence Charles Kroll

Pro

1

Answered . I think that you will need to obtain a court order changing your name back in order for MVC and other government entities to change your name in their records.

2. Marc J Poles

Pro

1

Answered . You would need to do obtain a Court Order to legally have your married name changed back to your maiden name. You could have done this during your divorce, assuming that you were divorced. There is a time limit after a divorce to which the Family Part can still enter a name change Order. I believe it is about 6 months, but I do not recall. If you are out of time, you must file a name change in the Civil Law Division which is much more costly.

3. Calli Diane Baldwin

1

Answered . If you only changed it on your driver's license, then yes you should be able to get a new license issued with your maiden name. For other government documents, you'll probably need a court order.