Is there a way around the restriction on the number of small claims lawsuits you can file? I'm a landlord.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oakland, CA

As the landlord of several properties, I occasionally have to take legal recourse on a plethora of individuals for monetary damages. Small claims says that I am limited to two claims per year. There has to be a way around this.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

5

1

Answered . In each calendar year, you are limited to two small claims lawsuits where the demand exceeds $2500 per CA Code of Civil Procedure Section 116.231. So the only tip is to file the small claims lawsuit before the amount claimed reaches $2500.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

1

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Chen. He is an experienced and knowledgeable Landlord Tenant Attorney. Maybe you should let a property management firm take care of these issues. Best of luck.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

3

Answered . No there doesn't. Such a law is enforceable and constitutional.