Is there a U.S. Civil Statute regarding the right to protest, or the right of free speech?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bardstown, KY

If filing in Federal Court one must fill out a Civil Cover Sheet. It requires that the U.S. Civil Statute under which one is filing be cited. Is there a U.S. Civil Statute covering the right to protest and/or the right of free speech?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Daniel Myers

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Federal courts require a specific grant of jurisdiction and you must elect either federal quation jurisdiction pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1331 or diversity jurisdiction defined under 28 U.S.C. § 1332.

    Save yourself a great deal of trouble and read both of these before filling out forms.

    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only.... more
  2. Lester Mike Paredes


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Would 42 U.S.C. 1983, providing a civil action for the deprivation of constitutional rights under color of law, fit?

  3. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The United States Constitution, Bill of Rights:

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,961 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,961 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering