Is there a time requirement for notice to move for a live in caregiver after the death of the client?

Albany, CA |

A night time only care giver who made the home his residence every night for four years has been asked go move out within 3 days after the death of the client. He has no other residence and did other work and went to school outside the home everyday. What is the law on his right to notice and how long a notice would be required?

1. There is no federal law giving the caregiver a residence right in most cases. Unless there is an unusual state or local law, the owner would have the right to require the caregiver to leave once the care is not needed any more. However, it sounds like in your case, the caregiver might be considered a tenant in which case normal tenant and eviction laws could apply. I'd suggest the caregiver consult a local landlord tenant law except that if the caregiver is elderly or disabled an elder law attorney might have additional ideas.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

2. In Michigan, you would need to go through the normal eviction process, which typically takes 6-8 weeks. I would imagine that California law has a similar process. You should consult with a landlord tenant attorney and/or a probate attorney. One practical problem you may have is that, unless and until an estate is open and an executor/administrator appointed by the court, there is no one with legal authority TO evict the tenant. That may be your biggest issue at the moment.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics