Is there a time line to seek medical treatment/evaluate for whiplash injury caused by rear-end collision? what she should do?

Long Beach, CA |

my friend was in a rear-end collision in 2010, other driver is 100% at fault and their insurance paid about $800 to the auto repair shop to replace the new pumper for her car. Now they offer her the same amount to settle and release all liability relate to this injury. Their reason is that it is minnor and they denied to cover the cost of MRI with reason of more than 1 year from date of accident. she confused her symptoms with her pre-existing condition. Doctor said Whiplash injury could make her existing condition worst. should she go to small claim court? Does she have a strong case to hire an attorney?

Never try to settle a car accident case without a lawyer or you will only get a nuisance settlement. A personal injury lawyer can take this case on a contingency fee basis, meaning that your friend doesn't have to pay anything unless the lawyer gets her money. Small claims court has a maximum dollar recovery amount, thus, your friend would most likely get more money with a personal injury lawyer. The insurance company would need to pay for any aggravation of pre-existing injuries. You can search Avvo for a personal injury lawyer.

Lassen Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers Philadelphia. www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com Phone 215-510-6755.

Edward Brandon Beckham

Edward Brandon Beckham

Great response from a highly rated attorney.

I agree with Mr. Lassen that your friend should get a personal injury lawyer. Get one immediately, as there are deadlines for personal injury cases known as statutes of limitations, so retain a lawyer before time runs out.

Boonswang Law Firm 1-877-258-3083

Edward Brandon Beckham

Edward Brandon Beckham

This is some good advice.

2 years.

No attorney/client relationship is or shall be created by this response on Avvo to non-clients of The Law Offices of Norman Gregory Fernandez.

I too agree that getting a personal injury lawyer is the only way your friend can get the maximum possible compensation available.

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Only add, a case is usually its strongest with a good attorney.

Hi Jeffrey. Thank you for your suggestion. I wonder, how do I know who is the good attorney? (I am the asker of the above question)

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Your welcome and excellent question. Ask those you trust and respect for recommendations. Likely, there have personal experience and this is a good barometer. Always look askance at an attorney who is boastful or overly arrogant. Usually, when someone presents themselves in this manner they are covering up for a lack of skill. Good luck.

very helpful, thanks again

Hi Jeffey again, can you give my friend a suggestion relate to the whiplash injury above. other insurance offer her about $500 to sign a release liability and close the case. Her added up medical bills (was not paid by auto insurance) was appx $1,800. What is the reasonable amount? What she need to be cautioned when signing release of liability. Thank you very much.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

It's difficult for me to tell your friend what to do. One reason is because I have not reviewed the medical records. Please understand if the release is signed the case will be closed forever. Kind regards

Thank you for your response. Best of luck to your career.

The Rule always is the sooner the better. Especially with under $1000 in property damage. If you wait too long after the accident the insurance company will limit their evaluation of your case.