Is there a time line for how long I can charge a person for a hit and run accident?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

Do I have a statue of limitations on the time line of when I can swear out a complaint on a person who hit me with their car.

1. David Irving Shiner

Pro

7

Answered . Candidly there some gaps in your question. However that said typically the statue limitations for car accident Florida is four years. However that can be increased or decreased depending on whether the cities involved or if you're suing your UIM. The most important thing that you do is that you pick up the phone and contact Atty. discuss your options. I'll be more happy to speak with you in detail regarding Your case if you would like

2. John Michael Phillips

Pro

6

Answered . There is a difference in what the State does- the criminal case- and any claims you have for injuries or damages- the civil case. You have no control on the criminal case but can sue for damages for him hitting you.

The value of every civil claim is chiefly based on what injuries/losses you have and how we prove them. Value of injury claims is based on medical bills, nature of permanent injury, and/or surgery, whereas property damage is based on replacement or market value of the item. These days the amount you can recover is also governed by the amount of insurance someone has and the amount of insurance you have because that a judgment over insurance proceeds rarely nets you anything they cannot bankrupt out of.

Essentially, insurance carriers try to negotiate every dollar they can, because every $100 means millions in the end to the Board of Directors. My recommendation is let an attorney handle this. I spent 8 years working for insurance companies and over a year working for the largest personal injury firm in the country before setting out to give clients personal service and help them fight these fights.

Even in soft tissue injuries, those tissues stretch and scar, or cause corresponding pressure on nerves in the spinal cord, leaving behind permanent problems for some. I have had clients need surgeries years later because of a bulging disk and have their entire world collapse for what seemed inconsequential at the time. Insurance companies want you to settle as soon as possible and treat as little as possible. Attorneys matter. They change their gameplan when a lawyer is involved.

For that reason - and the misinformation by TV lawyers and referral services- is why people should consult lawyers who take the time like on sites like this. Because of the economy, more lawyers are jumping into personal injury and should stick to what they know. Personal injury law REQUIRED knowledge about medical science and biomechanics (the forces on a body in a wreck) far greater and more specific than you'd think. The other side has doctors and millions on their side to say nothing is wrong or fight the claim. If you have any further questions, feel free to email me- jmp@knowthelawyer.com. Check out our website- www.knowthelawyer.com. We'd love to help you. Our number is 800-6-know-law. We are here to help.

Pro

7

Answered . The statute of limitations in your state for suing for personal injury from a car accident is 4 years. Retain a car accident lawyer in your state from Avvo immediately. Good luck.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. David J. McCormick

6

Answered . If it was a hit and run then you should call the police ASAP and report it. If you were injured and want to sue, then it is my understanding that you have 4 years from the date of injury to settle or file a lawsuit. You may want to confirm this with Florida counsel.