Is there a time limit to report a auto accident in florida with geico?

Asked over 4 years ago - Fort Pierce, FL

is there a time limit to report an auto accident with geico?

1. Thomas Michael Bates

Answered . Most insurance policies require the insured to report a claim (i.e., an accident) as soon as reasonably practicable. Within 30 days is reasonable. Beyond 30 days may also be deemed reasonable depending on the facts of the case.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER – I am not seeking to represent you based solely on the response to this question. The answer given is for general information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is hereby created. However, you may call me at (561) 802-4124 or e-mail me at tmblaw@msn.com if you would like to discuss this matter further.

2. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . Your question is a little unclear. Are you reporting an accident to your own carrier or an adverse carrier?

Incidences should be reported to carriers within a reasonable time. The longer you delay in reporting an incident, the easier it is for the insurance carrier to claim that the delay has prejudiced their ability to investigate and defend any claim. The statute of limitations in Florida for filing a tort action is four years.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Your own insurance company, regardless of what company it is, requires reasonably promt notice. This would apply to your claim for property damage to the car, payment for your own medical expenses, your own lost wages and other claims.

If you are talking about giving notice to the insurance company for the other driver, who caused your injuries, then reasonable notice is still required, practical and good practice, but, the only absolute here is the statute of limitations. So, as long as you file suit within the statute of limitations, you will have a valid case. In Florida I understand that the statute of limitations is 4 years after the date of the accident.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.