Is there a time limit to a ruling in a divorce case

the divorce was done without me. and the information provided to receive the divorce was false and demeaning. i was wondering if there were steps i could take to rectify this situation.

New York, NY -

Jeffrey B. Peltz

Jeffrey B. Peltz

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

You would need to make a motion to vacate the judgment of divorce. It's best to make the motion within a year of the judgment being entered. I recommend that you consult with an experienced divorce attorney.

Paul Karl Siepmann

Paul Karl Siepmann

Family Law Attorney - Patchogue, NY

If you were not properly served, you should be able to vacate the default and reopen the case. You will best be able to accomplish this with the help of a lawyer. Consult with a local matrimonial attorney ASAP.

David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Chappaqua, NY

That depends - when you say it was "done without me" what do you really mean? Did you know about the case?

David Ivan Bliven

David Ivan Bliven

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - White Plains, NY

You'll need to file a motion to vacate your default. You must provide a reasonable excuse for your failing to appear as well as a "meritorious defense" to the opposing party's requests. That said, I highly advise you to schedule a free consultation with a NYC Divorce lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
Morghan L Richardson

Morghan L Richardson

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Astoria, NY

I would only add to what the other lawyers have said: the longer you wait, the more it looks like you agree with the divorce and agree to live by whatever terms have been set. So you should not delay in trying to determine all of your options.