Is there a time limit on which a court system can arraign you?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lansing, MI

I was arrested for a misdimeanor. I was taken to the police station, fingerprinted, photographed, charged a bond (which I paid myself), appointed a date for a court appearance, and released. I went to court on my set date which was four days after the arrest, and was told to come back because I was not in the system yet. It has now been two months since my charged, and I have still not been arraigned. Is there a time limit on how long a court system can take on an arraignment?

1. Michael J. Nichols

3

Answered . On a misdemeanor the statute of limitations is generally 6 years. However, the longer it takes to take your case to trial by the government the better.

2. Tara E. Nichol

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Nichols, the court can still arriagn you at the charges. The court will likely send you a notice to appear for an arriagnment when one is scheduled. If you are concerned, you can always call the clerk of the court to see if an arraignment has been set.

3. Sarah Lynn White

1

1

Answered . Depending on your State's statute of limitations they will have one or two years in which to bring you into court for arraignment. If you don't hear anything then either the DA is waiting on more evidence (labs) or has not decided whether or not to charge you with what you were arrested for. Sit tight and if you are charged hire an attorney or get a PD if you cannot afford to hire an attorney. If they don't charge you, consider yourself lucky and move on.