Is there a time limit for a judge in NYS to make a ruling on a divorce case?

Albany, NY |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce court

My trial was November 2012 memorandums were sent to the court by December 31, 2012. The court stated it would have a ruling by February2013 - March 2013. I am still waiting ( June 2013 ) and can not file violations of court orders with a pending divorce decision. What can be done to move this along?

I would suggest you talk to your attorney and ask that he reach out to the Court and the Judges chambers to get an update. After that he will take the appropriate action.

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.

There is only a time limit for decisions on motions and Judges often can't meet it (60 days) because they have so many cases pending.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

This is a huge problem in New York City. The suggestion you received of having your attorney reach out to chambers is a good one.

* This information is general legal information and is not intended to be advice on your particular case. If you find the information helpful, please let me know by clicking the button!