Skip to main content

Is there a time frame for the divorce decree to be signed and submitted??

Newark, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce

divorced well over two weeks and have not recieved decree from lawyer

Attorney Answers 2


This is not uncommon. Your lawyer has probably submitted the proposed form of Judgment of Divorce to the Court under the "Five Day Rule." This is actually a more efficient way of handling these matters than how they were done many years ago. Basically, your attorney submits the proposed form of Judgment to the Court. A copy is also sent to opposing counsel. Your attorney requests that the Court sign the proposed form of Judgment if it meets with the Court's approval and there is no objection by opposing counsel within five days. The Court typically grants the other party more than five days (to take into consideration mailing time). Furthermore, the Court has many other things on its plate as well, and sometimes needs a little extra time to review the judgment before signing it. The judgment is then filed and returned to you attorney, who in turn, sends a copy to you. Be patient...It is not uncommon for these matters to take a few weeks.

Mark as helpful


The judgment of divorce is signed the date the judge hears the grounds so you need to ask your attorney for the reasons for the delay.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics