The VA is requiring me to sign a QCD before they will consider a release of liability to me, but mentioned that it's "conditional". I'm afraid that if I sign and he can't qualify, I've just signed away any rights to the property and will not be able to force a sale.
There are ways to do the transaction, such as a lawyer holding the deed in trust pending certain conditions, but you are correct to be concerned. If you are just being asked to "trust us" by signing the deed, you probably should not do it. Ask your divorce lawyer or a real estate lawyer. The proposed transaction needs to be well documented.