Is there a statute of limitations regarding medical bills? I am being sued for medical bills that are four years old.

Asked over 3 years ago - Pueblo, CO

I had insurance at the time of the medical procedure that was not billed correctly so the insurance company did not pay. Now the hospital is suing me for payment. Can they do that?

1. Christopher John Lane

Answered . They have six years to initiate a lawsuit on the debt in CO.

2. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . Medical providers are not required to accept insurance. They are not required to submit the claim. Many of them do accept it and offer to submit the claim, but they are not responsible for doing so. If you did not follow up, then you are still responsible. You might be able to work through your insurance company to resolve this issue. If not, every state has a statute of limitations. You can Google it to find the one for your state. Usually, it is a written contract (they get some of the longest times, usually of 5 or 6 years).

Good Luck.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR COLLECTION:

Open Account (credit card): 3 years

Written Contract: 6

Written Contract for Goods and Services: 3 years

Domestic Judgment (District Court): 20 years (renewable)

Domestic Judgment (County Court): 6 years (renewable)

Foreign Judgment: 6 years

4. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Answered . The statute of limitations doesn't prevent a creditor from suing you to collect on a debt. It is only a defense to a lawsuit, and you must actively claim it as a defense or you lose the right to it.

Hope this perspective helps!