Is there a statute of limitations on pressing assault charges against juveniles?

Asked over 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

My son was assaulted by a classmate in school ( another 6th grader). I had him transported to the hospital because he appeared out of it and his speech was slurred. After being examined, the Dr told me to watch him but saw no signs of serious injury. The parents of the other child contacted me so that we could settle out of court for his medical expenses. We wrote up a contract stating that they would make monthly payments until the expenses are paid off and that we would not file charges contingent on them making all payments. It has been four months now and they have not made any payments. I've contacted them and still have not recieve payments. Can I still go to the juvenile courts to pursue actions againts the child?

1. Brett Ladd

Pro

2

Answered . It sounds like the police were not involved in the original process. Failure to involve the police at that time opens up a can-of-worms if you involve them now; the "out-of court" contract that you all signed may have made things more difficult.

There are two ways that you can proceed: File a lawsuit based upon the agreement that was made, or based upon the assault itself, and seek reimbursement or damages. There is a special statute in Georgia making parents liable for some damages caused by a child. The other way is to call the police now, and hope for the best. Be sure to advise the police that the only reason the delay for reporting the assault was trying to resolve it among parents, and that didn't work out as you hoped. This goes under the heading 'No good deed goes unpunished".

I would speak to an attorney first so that you can get more formal advise based upon all the details and evidence.

2. Aaron P. Marks

Pro

Answered . You have, based on the facts provided, two causes-of-action. One is civil, and can include being awarded monetary damages against the child and his family. The second is criminal, and can include having the offending child be removed from the school, be put into juvenile detention, and/or a youth correction program. One thing you cannot do is threaten to pursue the criminal matter if the family doesn't pay your medical bills. You are not allowed to hold that over their heads. It sounds like you just want to be reimbursed, and not pursue the criminal matter. If that is what you are interested in please feel free to call me for more advice.

Regards,

Aaron Marks
    404-939-1485
    --
    Aaron Marks, Esq.
    The Marks Law Group, LLC
    103 W. Dearborn Circle
    Decatur, GA 30030
    www.markslawgroup.com
    aaron@markslawgroup.com
    404-939-1485 (ph)
    404-581-5902 (fx)

3. James Regan

Pro

Answered . The fact that you have agreed not to press charges and a contract complicates things. You might want I consider going I the police department and seeing if they will apply for a juvenile tale and hold. You may also consider calling the Victim Advocate at your local prosecutor's office and also look for a personal injury attorney.