Is there a statute of limitations on misdemeanor unpaid check?

Asked over 4 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

In 2000 or 2001 I wrote a check for under $50 bucks, didn't know that it wasn't covered. I moved in April of 2001 200 miles away, and in the summer of 2004 I received a letter from the the court in the area I was residing when the check was written saying there was a warrant for my arrest. I called the court to try an work it out but they said all I could do was turn myself in, which had to be within a 50 mile radius of the county the warrant originated. Recently, I received another letter saying there is a warrant for my arrest. Is there a statute of limitations for this charge, and if so did contacting them change that?

1. Scott Douglas Moore

Answered . The general criminal statute of limitations is six years, but that is to say the charge must be filed within six years of the offense date.

As I understand the facts of your case, the charge was timely laid, but there may be a question of staleness.

The prosecutor is obligated to exercise some diligence in disposing of warrants, but questions of the defendant's role in delaying execution of the arrest warrant come into play.

It would be worthwhile to consult an attorney to gain advice tailored to your specific needs.