Is there a statute of limitations on bad checks in alabama or georgia?

Auburn, NY |

I was contacted by a law firm that said they wanted to press charges on me for writing a bad check over 600 dollars back in 2005 when i was stationed in georgia. i was wondering why they waited 7 years to contact me, and if there is anything they can do legally. they said it was a felony, and i am concerned because i dont remember writing a bad check and it would reflect poorly seeing that i am a criminal justice major

You should re-post in Ala or GA. In NY it would be 5 years!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

You should ask the question in the forum for those states. Statute in NY for felony is 5 years.

I suggest you repost in those states Avvo pages. Given that you are a criminal justice major you could ask for a copy of the check if you really did bounce it you can make it right.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.