Is there a statute of limitations on a speeding ticket?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Amarillo, TX

Tkt recvd in Swisher Co approx 10 yrs ago. Hired atty to take care of it. Took defensive driving course. Court recvd ppwk. County has changed administration and has now hired another atty in Amarillo to contact me to get me to pay for ticket. They say they have no record I had atty or took def driving. My atty's license has been suspended for a time and he is or will be acting as an atty on a probationary status for a period of time. I'm really not sure how to handle this at all.

1. Richard Timothy Jones

2

Answered . Ten years is longer than the statute of limitations for most felonies. If you haven't taken defensive driving lately you might offer to do that as it's probably less expensive than hiring a lawyer.

Www.Austincriminaldefenseattorney.Com
    512-495-1813

2. Jerry Cole Brooks

1

Answered . A speeding ticket is a Class C misdemeanor. A complaint for a class C misdemeanor must be filed within 2 years of the date of the alleged violation, unless there are events that "toll" this statutory period. I suggest you hire an experienced traffic ticket attorney to defend you in this case.

3. Donald George Legrand Jr.

1

Answered . Yes, two year limitations period. You will probably need to post a bond, then contest the matter to get it resolved.