Skip to main content

Is there a statute of limitations in MA on how long a spouse has to ask for funds collected during the marriage ie. from a 401K?

Worcester, MA |

All information was offered to spouse and their attorney, they never followed up even though on numberous occasions the same info was given to both.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I believe the sub text to your question is as follows: Your divorce specified a division of your 401K plan and years have passed with no Qualified Domestic Relations Order ever being approved by the court post-divorce, dividing the plan in accord with the divorce judgment. If I am correct on guessing the fact pattern and there is a court order - there is no statute of limitations whereby your ex waives their rights to collect. A judgment is a judgment. What may change over time is when you go into payout status under the plan. If you are the holder of the plan, the initial efforts to effectuate the court order are your obligation and if your ex discovers the oversight, s/he may seek to hold you in contempt of court for failing to submit a "QDRO" to the court.


I am operating under the assumption that you are already divorces, and if you are then as long as you provided all the necessary information about your 401K then all property divisions are final, absent fraud or duress. If, however you are still married then until you are divorced the funds are divisible.


Not as far as I know.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


I agree with the substance of the previous posts since this question asks about dividing a "401K." However, should we be discussing certain pension plans which had, for instance, pre-retirement death benefits, the responses may be much different. In those cases, a plan administrator cannot pay out death benefits if they were never alerted to an alternate payee. For instance, the plan participant passes before retirement, but the parties never notified the plan of the identity of an ex spouse. Assuming there are no issues of remarriage by the plan participant, there are some federal cases which may side with the plan in denying such benefits to the alternate payee (regardless as to the state court divorce judgment.) . See Samaroo v. Samaroo, 193 F.3d 185 (3d Cir. 1999). Bottom line, speak to an experience family law attorney as some issues, like these, can be complex.

The use of this forum or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Posts provided should not be relied upon for legal advice. Any posts by this author is based upon very limited information provided and should not be considered legal advice. The information provided should be considered general information only. ALWAYS consult with an experienced attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer